Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Point one, once they reach the stage of addition they don't want to be there but they can no longer help themselves. Point two, I'm suggesting , giving them the drugs for FREE, with the stipulation of them seeking help. No need to steal or kill to get something for free.

So you are actually going to give drug addicts free drugs? And who is going to pay for these free drugs ? Those of us who don't use drugs and work for a living?

Who is going to product these drugs you are giving away for free and who is going to pay for the production?

Now when these drugs you give an addict kills the addict, who is responsible?

When this addict wants more drugs than you are willing to give is him, he's going to simply walk away or is he going to shoot your ass cause he's an addict ? Excuse my language, just had to make a point. In Utopia he may walk away !

When he commits a crime while under the influence of these drugs you gave him for free that someone not yet named paid for, who's responsible ! Or is this another Utopian idea where drug addicts will no longer commit crimes.

When this addict decides these drugs you gave him for free destroyed his health and sees free money through our court system, who's going to pay?

Some addicts do come to a point where they want to get off drugs BUT many never do and to suggest otherwise is another Utopian idea ?

Now who is going to distributed your free drugs ? A Pharmacist ? A drugs store ? And if this Pharmacists or drug store refuses, will the Government force him or her or face jail time ?

This idea has more holes than a screen door but because it's well intentioned some how it's all going to workout. Welcome to Utopian. It's just not that easy and giving out drugs that destroys live, destroys families, destroys neighborhoods and can destroy a nation is the definition of Utopia !
Go to Top of Page

cuzimrite
Obsessed Poster

1007 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  7:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Brewers, distillers, and large pharmacy companies (CVS, Rite Aid, etc.), have been funding anti-medical marijuana legislators since the California law went into effect some eleven years ago. At roughly the same time, Big Pharma (some of them) admitted that they have been involved in research in separating the parts of the plant that give pain relief from those that get people "high". Their reason is to create a safe canna-drug for chronic pain. They have not succeeded yet, but I have faith in their rampant capitalistic nature that they will be robbing those who need it the worst before too long.

I have been on the front line of this issue (trying for first, decriminalization, and second, legalization)for more than 40 years, so I know all the arguments and I've seen first hand the damage that "hard" drugs can do. As long as someone can grow their own, neither Big Pharma nor law enforcement will never be happy.
Go to Top of Page

Shutesie
Active Poster

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile
We've gotten a little off topic and I have not articulated my point as clearly as I would have liked.

First, I have no idea how Ron Paul would care out his vision of legalized drugs. I'm just working off the idea that he believes in limited government and what people chose to put in their body is their business.

Second, I don't believe that making drugs legal is going to create a Utopian world. What I do believe is that by changing how we view drug use we might have better luck using the 'catch more flies with honey' approach. The war on drugs has seen large sums of money spent sending people to prison with little effect on drug use. The demand for drugs is still there and we are running out of money.

To give an example of why dealing with drugs in the way that we have is a futile effort I will borrow a claim that was made earlier in the forum

quote:

It reminds me of the hippie days where free love was the answer to Americas woes ( another Utopian idea ) and the result was STDs running rapid, costing billions.
The morel fiber of our Nation crumbling, costing billions. Family values disintegrating. Single parent home skyrocketing, more and more families on government assistance and children lost in the whole mess again costing billions.

From this statement it seems clear to me that the solution is to criminalize all sexual acts that are not carried out by married people with the expressed intent of creating a child. Using the 'War on Drugs' as a template, we will institute a government run effort to protect the rest of our society from these 'Free Love Hippies'. Using this model I am certain that people will see that what they are doing is wrong and will stop. Our country will see brighter days as we return to a time when no one had sex just to feel good.

Edited by - Shutesie on 02/11/2012 10:28:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  2:05:38 PM  Show Profile
Fact is a candidate with views like his, will never be elected. This country will never legalize drugs. He may rally a few but the vast majority won't vote for him.
Michael Jackson and I'm afraid Whitney Houston are good examples of what free drugs do to a person. They can get and afford any drugs and look what it did for them. There are thousands upon thousands who's gone down this road. Elvis Presley, John Belushi, Chris Farley, Jimi Hendrix, Anna Nichol Smith, Keith Ledger, and the list goes on and on. Free drugs, there was nothing the couldn't afford and drugs destroyed their lives. Rehab. after rehab. but they still returned BECAUSE DRUGS ARE VERY ADDICTIVE AND MANY CAN NOT KICK THE HABIT and this country is paying the price. Just think of the talent we no longer enjoy because with riches, fame and glory it wasn't enough , drugs won the game.
Go to Top of Page

Shutesie
Active Poster

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  3:15:48 PM  Show Profile
He knows he will never get elected. He is there to get his message to the people.

Are you trying to make my point? Even making it a crime and throwing people in jail can't stop addiction. Because addiction is a disease that needs to be treated by a doctor not a warden. We complicate the problem by making it criminal.

From the CDC's website, in 1965 42.4% of adults were smokers and in 2010 that figure was 19.3%. That reduction is the result of education and changing public opinions on smoking. No money was spent sending anyone to jail.

From the CDC

quote:

More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.

More deaths from tobacco, a legal substance, than illegal drug use and alcohol and car wrecks and suicides and murder and AIDS combined. Tobacco is legal. Where is your outrage about that. How come we don't make tobacco illegal.

Prohibition failed. It failed to stop the sins of alcohol. Prohibition will fail to stop the sins of drugs.

Education and changing people's opinion of drug use will work without locking up a single person. It has worked with smoking. It has worked for alcohol. It takes time and understanding that you will not be able to save everyone.
Go to Top of Page

AH.Free
Active Poster

131 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  11:19:53 PM  Show Profile
how much money have we spend in education about drugs since the sixties,its not the drug addicts its the dealers that we need to sent to jail,and yes alcohol its a drug a terrible one,but why add another drug to legalize.And no the sins of alcohol have not been stop nor tobacco the only problem is that the crooked government that we have charges taxes on this products.Tobacco is not easy to grow and does not grow every where alcohol even though its easier to make not everybody can do it, while we can grow marihuana even here in Michigan and the rest of other drugs are the vast majority brought from other places
Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  06:16:26 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine told that he had to go to rehab once and it was not fun. He was trying to teach his grandson how to read and he got hooked on phonics.

quote:

"Three Rivers needs an Honest Joe in City hall." Pepa

Go to Top of Page

AH.Free
Active Poster

131 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  12:43:15 AM  Show Profile
all right Michigan you had your chance and really mess it up, might as well vote for the fellow with the mouse ears
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000