Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  09:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Buck,

It appears this issue will be resurfacing in the near futrue. I believe from Commissioner Schermerhorn's comments on her experience last fall she has changed her stance on the city enforcing this ordinance with this property owner (now in support of it. Gretta, please correct me if I am wrong). I am curious if your experience was similar and how you would handle the situation if elected? Mr. Cochran, if you are out there listening by all means now would be the time to chime in as well.

Daryl
A Curious Voter

"It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.", Unknown

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  11:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
The only thing I would do differently then I did last year is I would not get involved with helping homeowners that are not willing to help themselves first.

I live my life by a code and I rarely stray from it. My stance on the forced house painting issue was rooted in principle and since my principles have not changed in the last year my stance on forcing people to paint their house to please their neighbors has not either. As far as I am concerned it is those who would enforce their idea of aesthetics on others who have the burden of proof of the harm that is being done to them.

The Buck Stops Here.
Go to Top of Page

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  10:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Buck,

Well put on the first part. That is the impression I got from the experience related to me.

On the second point…
If elected, as a commissioner you would certainly be in a position to more actively attempt to change the ordinance though I don’t believe there is support to do so. You do understand that the first thing required of whoever is successful is to swear an oath to uphold the laws of the city (and of course state and federal). I have to admit I am curious how you are going to do that given what you've just said.

Daryl

"If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise we do not believe in it at all.", Noam Chomsky
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  1:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Daryl obviously you know there are police officers at the TRPD who may not necessarily agree with every law on the books but they do their job, the best they can, anyway. An officer does not automatically throw away life experience or personal biases just because they become police officers. Many times people elected to office find themselves in the same position. In fact the reason some people run is to make a difference by righting past wrongs. Imagine how different American history would be if everyone who was elected to office was forced to maintain the status quo.

If I am elected to the commission I will swear the oath and perform my duty as an elected representative the best I can. However, when I see an opportunity to loosen the grip of government on the people I will do my best to exploit it. I do understand that sometimes there may be a gulf of reasoning between a position that I take personally and a position that a constituency may take collectively. In those cases I will do my best to strike a balance that I can stand by and one that the people I represent will be happy with.

The Buck Stops Here.
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Frequent Poster

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  7:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Daryl,

Does that mean an elected representative has to enforce every law that is on the books?

As far as the house painting is concerned, I would still be willing help someone paint their home if they were truly needing help so the government doesn't have to come in and force the issue. However, it has become clear to me that there are people that need to be forced to be responsible with their property. It is unfortunate that there are people who refuse to take any active part in maintaining their property. Those kinds of people need to be forced by the local government to maintain their home.

I need to know they are trying to help themselves as well before lending a helping hand. Now if the same house was in disrepair or is falling down around it's ears, then I would support someone stepping in regards to health and safety. Especially if there are children involved.

The adult or the person responsible should maintain their home or they should be renters not homeowners.

As far as the house we are talking about, I will be most reluctant to help anymore because we received absolutely NO help or even a thank you. In this case the homeowner is able bodied and very capable of doing the job himself. Live and learn. Won't make that mistake again.

I hope I was clear enough. If not, please let me know.

Gretta
Go to Top of Page

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  9:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Very well put Gretta.

Now for the first point. Does an elected official have to enforce every law on the books? Well the short answer is yes. There are three qualifiers I have to add to that however.

First, the commission is the legislative branch of government. While it can issue legal orders when extreme circumstances force the issue, it cannot "enforce" the law.

Second, there is only so much one can be reasonably expected to do. Protecting the rights of neighbors from a neglectful homeowner is only one part of what we do. Far more of our time and effort is used to drive for improved services, encouraging job growth and prosperity, etc... I want the focus of my role as commissioner to be one of positive, building, and improving not judge, jury and jailer.

Last, yes judgment does enter into the equation. An officer can choose to issue a citation in a given situation or not. The decision not to though, must be because of mitigating circumstances not because one simply disagrees with the law.

For the record I think Buck answered the question reasonably well. Soundin’ more like a politician every day Buck.

Daryl

"Become the change you seek in the world.", Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Daryl I am not sure if I should take that last remark as a compliment or not but thanks anyway (I think). I really want to serve on the commission and plan on running until I am successful (for as long as it takes).

Edited my own comments to remove a paragraph that I never should have included in the first place. If anyone has any questions about what they were or why I removed them feel free to ask either on the forum or through email. Thanks.

By the way, has anyone been paying attention to what is going on in Mendon's city hall lately? Recall threatened

The Buck Stops Here.

Edited by - Buck on 09/15/2003 10:12:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stillwaters
Advocate

USA
488 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  9:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stillwaters's Homepage
Gretta,

So are you saying it is alright to force a tax payor to paint their house because a few of the commissioners feel like their personal idea should be law? And because of one ungrateful and rude jerk.

Believe me you have been treated far worse by some of the commissioners for trying to help and do the right thing. It has never weakned your resolve to stand on principle....don't start now.

"I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000