Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Liberty 1st Forums
 Three Rivers Area
 Immediate warning about the drinking water in T.R.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  5:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
I just got word that there is (or may be) a contaminant in the drinking water here in Three Rivers. I don’t have any details other then it may be coliform and there is a recommendation that you boil your water before using it.

If I get any more info on it I will post it later.

The Buck Stops Here.

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  10:17:42 AM  Show Profile
All I know so far is this.

Samples from all 4 well sites tested positive for excessive levels of coliform bacteria. Water used for drinking, cooking or food prep must be boiled first for one minute (or use bottled). Although possible, I'm told it is unlikely that all 4 wells would be contaminated at the same time. It is suspected that the samples may have been contaminated after being drawn or the test kits themsleves were bad and new samples are being taken today. THIS IS STRICTLY SPECULATION, TREAT THE SITUATION AS A REAL PROBLEM. Also today they will begin chlorinating the water. That is really all I know at this point. I will post any updates as soon as I hear them.

Daryl

"War does not determine who's right. War determines who is left.", Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Stillwaters
Advocate

USA
488 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  10:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stillwaters's Homepage
I would like to know how often samples are taken and tested. I doubt if it was contamination of the all four vials unless it was done deliberately. Who takes the samples and is there a witness to make sure dasani is not poured in the test vials? This is certainly bad PR and people are in a panic.

There is e-coli in the water and I for one have been drinking large amounts of it. The symptoms of drinking this are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea with an incubation period of 4-9 days. (it's the word on the street anyways) So in a week or so they may not be able to keep immodium on the shelf.

Still

"I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Frequent Poster

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  11:23:36 AM  Show Profile
The water is tested every month. The letter we recieved in the mail a few weeks ago was to let the citizens know that the water was tested 2 weeks later than scheduled.

As Daryl stated, the 4 wells were tested and they failed. Chlorination is being added today around noon and a test will be taken before the chlorination and after. It will 24 hours before we will know the results.

As far as it being deliberate, I would think if that was done than that would be grounds for a criminal investigation, knowingly endangering peoples lives. I doubt it was deliberate. I am not sure who witnesses the testing. I believe the testing is done at the lab at the Wastewater Treatment Plant. I could be wrong.

When I hear anything else I will let you know.

Edited by - Gretta on 08/13/2003 11:24:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  12:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Still Said: I doubt if it was contamination of the all four vials unless it was done deliberately. Who takes the samples and is there a witness to make sure dasani is not poured in the test vials?

Still have you been reading Conspiracy Theory Weekly again?
quote:
There is e-coli in the water and I for one have been drinking large amounts of it. The symptoms of drinking this are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea with an incubation period of 4-9 days.

Eeeewwwwwwh! I was going to add an additional comment but eeeewwwwwwh says it all, don't it?

UPDATE: Boil order issued in Three Rivers (WWMT NEWs) - The order comes after four samples taken earlier this month showed positive tests for coliform bacteria.

Earlier this month? I know it is only the 13th but shouldn't the public be made aware of something like this as soon as the possibility is discovered? I realize you don't want to cause panics but sheesh give us some warning won't you? It's not like people aren't drinking this stuff.

The Buck Stops Here.

Edited by - Buck on 08/13/2003 1:17:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  1:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Three Rivers residents are advised to boil their drinking water because of the discovery of unsafe levels of coliform bacteria during routine inspections over the past several days. James Tolfree at the city's Department of Public Services said late Tuesday that the city is investigating the cause of the contamination at this time. Tolfree said that the notice to boil water is the result of "water samples which tested positive for coliform bacteria." Tolfree said that four samples for coliform were taken during the month of August and that all four tested positive for the substance. He said that coliform bacteria are generally not harmful themselves but are used as an indicator that other, potentially harmful bacteria may be present. He said the coliforms found were a possible warning of other potential problems. Tolfree said that the discovery could indicate a problem with the treatment or distribution system in the city. He said that a follow-up testing procedure is performed to determine if other bacteria such as fecal coliform, or E. Coli are present. The follow-up testing is now being performed, he said. "We are investigating the cause of the problem at this time," he said. "With our follow-up testing we will be better able to determine the severity and cause of the problem. We will begin chlorinating the water system and will continue until acceptable results are reported. We anticipate resolving the problem within the next couple of days." Tolfree said that residents with questions may call the DPS department at 269 273-1845, or the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality at 269 567-3612.

I took the above text straight from WLKM's News Page. I didn't link directly to the story because they don't use an archive system for their news items.

Anybody notice this from that text? Tolfree said that the discovery could indicate a problem with the treatment or distribution system in the city. If true you can bet the sh.t is going to hit the fan real soon!

The Buck Stops Here.
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  4:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
I edited my own comments because I made them after getting partial second hand information. Once I got the complete story things made a lot more sense. Sorry.

The Buck Stops Here.

Edited by - Buck on 08/14/2003 7:22:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Just in case anyone has not heard I was informed per requirements of MDEQ we received our second consecutive test result showing the water is no longer in violation of coliform bacteria levels. For anyone interested, water quality is on the agenda for tomorrow (Aug 19).

Daryl

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does this say about an empty desk.", Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  12:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Thanks for the update Daryl. By the way, we aren't the only ones with water problems.

quote:
(NEWS 3) -- State officials say they have come up with a possible solution to a water problem that plagues a community near Three Rivers.

The department of environmental quality introduced the plan at a public meeting Thursday night. It calls for expanding Lockport township's water system to park and Fabius townships--two areas that tested positive for a herbicide in the water samples.

The expansion is expected to cost $3,500,000 million, but a state fund would pick up most of the tab.

Residents who agree to connect to the new water system will have a water bill.

A majority vote in favor of the plan is needed to begin the construction.

Text taken from WWMT Channel 3 News.

The Buck Stops Here.

Edited by - Buck on 08/22/2003 11:22:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile
Buck,

Now that your campaigning, I guess it's our turn to grill you.
What is you opinion of giving a rebate on the sewer/water bill to account for the bacteria incident. The current suggestion was $5 dollars across the board (which results in about a total cost of $13,000). I want to voice my opinion but first I'm curious where you stand on this.

Daryl

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.", Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  5:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
If I were on the commission and had to vote yea or nay on any rebate, based on what information I have now I would vote NAY. It was a fluke and flukes happen. Yes there was some inconvenience involved but just as the people who lost their power around the same time, we just had to deal with it.

I would feel differently if there were negligence on the side of the city but at this point I don’t think that is the case.

The Buck Stops Here.
Go to Top of Page

Stillwaters
Advocate

USA
488 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  9:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stillwaters's Homepage
I would hope that the citizens of Three Rivers would not want a meager $5.00 taken off their bill when it would amount to such a large portion of the city's budget.

Ronda

"I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  10:06:41 AM  Show Profile
Exactly my thoughts (to both of you)

I am not in favor of issuing a rebate for three reasons. The cost is far too great for the rather meager amount of return to each customer. The rebate is calculated with no regard to actual usage. And last, we set a dangerous precedent for what is essentially an act of God.

Twelve to Thirteen thousand dollars is a fairly significant hit to the water fund whereas $5 off our water bill is barely noticeable to most. Also remember this fund is used for the purpose of improving/replacing/installing sewer and water infrastructure. This is an area Three is sorely in need of stepping up actively, not cutting back. I simply don't think the trade-off is worth it.

Five dollars is certainly not going to compensate for the inconvenience of boiling or the cost of purchasing bottled water. Nor does it account for the fact that a household with only one or two persons was impacted much less than one of three, four, or more people. Then what about the business or restaurant who may have been impacted far more than a residence with loss of sales or substantial additional expenses. If we were to institute a rebate based on impact to the customer the city could easily be bankrupted.

As I stated in the meeting following the incident, we can count our blessings as it could have been much worse. Three Rivers tests the water more frequently than required which alerted us to the problem BEFORE any major health impacts were felt. Significant portions of our country (and Canada) were without electricity or running water at all during this same time frame. People in those areas are not looking for or expect their respective municipalities to rebate their losses. This is the first time the Three Rivers water system has had such an occurrence and it was dealt with best we could. No persons action, lack of action, state of maintenance, or infrastructure design contributed to the incident. Plain and simple this was just an freak of nature or an act of God depending on your belief. We learned from our mistakes and have instituted a procedure or two to deal more swiftly respond should there ever be a recurrence.

Daryl

"A man who chooses not to read good books has no advantage over the man who can not read them", Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  11:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
I should have mentioned something about the amount but I kind of thought that would go without saying. Now after Ronda and you did say it specifically, I wished I would have (first). However, the amount would not change my vote anyway.

UPDATE: The rebate is on the agenda for tonight’s commission meeting.

Edited by - Buck on 09/16/2003 12:27:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  4:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Public Hearing On Tuesday, November 4, 2003 Regarding Possible Chlorination Of The City's Water System

Citizens Of The City Of Three Rivers Your Input Is Needed. Come To A Public Hearing On Tuesday, November 4, 2003 At 6:00 P.M., In The Commission Chamber At City Hall, 333 W Michigan Ave.

The Three Rivers City Commission is requesting Citizen input regarding the possible chlorination of the City’s water system. YOUR OPINION IS VERY IMPORTANT!

City Administration will provide information concerning the pros and cons of chlorinating the City’s Water System. Come and be informed.

Any interested person may attend and participate or may submit written comments to Barbara Redford at the above address. Persons with disabilities needing help to participate should call the City’s Administrative Services Director at (269) 273-1075, extension 104, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., a week in advance to request mobility, visual, hearing or other assistance.

UPDATE: Updated to reflect the new dates etc.

The Buck Stops Here.

Edited by - Buck on 10/27/2003 9:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000