New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  11:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
A public hearing will be held at the regular Commission meeting on January 17, 2012 at 6:00 p.m. in the City Commission Chambers at Three Rivers City Hall, 333 West Michigan Avenue, Three Rivers, Michigan. The purpose is to hear comments regarding a proposed property maintenance code (International Property Maintenance Code published by the International Code Council).

You can view the code section by section with the following link:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/ipmc/2009/index.htm?bu2=undefined

See official announcement from the Three Rivers web site here.

Liberty First. Everything else second.

mist-e
Active Poster

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  9:06:45 PM  Show Profile
I must be doing something wrong I can not get the code to pull up. Where can I get a copy? I am afraid this new code will give the city too much power over the citizens. I'd like to know how much control and power this gives the city.
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  9:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
It is a really goofy format but I found that if you click the first link and then use the next section links you can get a lot deeper into the document. I share your concern.

You can go righ to the intro at this link Public Codes intro.

Go to Top of Page

mist-e
Active Poster

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  1:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Buck I was finally able to get into the code. If I am reading this right when this is adopted the city will have the power to walk into our homes whenever they want and inspect them. If the commission adopts this our freedom and privacy is gone. The fire chief recently told me "Your home is your castle and they could not enter it without your permission" I am afraid that if/when the commission adopts this code they will be taking our castles away.
Go to Top of Page

a viking
Active Poster

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  4:02:15 PM  Show Profile

"Property Maintenance Code For Non-Residential Property" is a new section 12-5 of Chapter 12". If there is only one version, and I am reading it correctly - It states it is for "... non-residential property, buildings, and structures, ..."
It also states that "The Property Maintenance Code shall not apply to those spaces in a commercial building used primarily for residential purposes."
If, this is for a commercial building, not defined as residential property, what code applies to the residential spaces in it?
Is there a code gap?
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  6:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Tuesday's public hearing is part of the process aimed at adopting Minimum Property Maintenance Standards for Commercial and Industrial Properties within the City of Three Rivers. As noted in a staff memo on the subject, another public hearing was held January 17th and "the proposed code has been made available for public viewing on the City's website, on Facebook, at the Public Library and at City Hall. Adoption of the Standards of the Minimum Property Maintenance Code as a city ordinance would allow the Zoning Administrator/Building Inspector to fairly enforce the same standards for Commercial/Industrial properties which are now enforceable for Residential House and for Rental Housing."

There is a hearing tomorrow during the commission meeting. For more on the meeting and the source of the quote above see Public hearing on 'Minimum Property Maintenance Standards' part of TR City Commission meeting Tuesday evening

Go to Top of Page

Shutesie
Active Poster

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  10:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Before we burn the town, does the current code allow the city to enter our castles?
Go to Top of Page

cball
Active Poster

136 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I think the point here is that residential and rental properties (I am presuming 2-4 family only) is already covered by Minimum Property Maintenance Standards. This change would only effect industrial and commercial properties. My understanding, Shutesie, is that they cannot enter a property without probable cause (ie health and safety issues that are discernable from the exterior) and even then may well need a court order to do so.
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  11:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage

Three Rivers City Commission hears citizen comments regarding proposed property maintenance code for commercial and industrial properties.

Was there anybody at that forum (or who have seen it on TV) that can confirm that the claim was made that the Mayor's building's have been exempt from the "hundred dollar" inspections?

For the record I don't believe that the mayor has received any special treatment or waivers that weren't deserved but I am curious about whether the statement was made and what is the basis of the charge?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000