Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  12:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
The time and date of a public hearing for a tax abatement on $94 million in investments planned at American Axle & Manufacturing is expected to take place at today's Three Rivers City Commission meeting.

Note: This was yesterday's meeting, which was held on 12/20/2011.

Liberty First. Everything else second.

cball
Active Poster

136 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  12:00:44 PM  Show Profile
After reading the Mayor's and commissioners comments I'm not sure why they're bothering having a public hearing on this. It's obvious that they've already made their minds up. I appreciate Tom's optimism regarding the local workforce but I'm afraid that it's more that we have a workforce that will work for $10 an hour than the quality (not that there aren't some very good folks there). Before you all gush too much about these 400 $10 an hour jobs think about who is going to continue footing the bill for the operations of the city. It's us. American Axle is expanding here because it's a cheaper workforce (which makes perfect business sense) but let's not make them into the magnificent benefactor. I still would like to know how the city is monitoring the claims being made re: the number of jobs to be created. I've asked the questions before and will again at the public hearing. It's easy to make claims if nobody is going to check. Also, we will no doubt take a major tax hit from whatever agreement is reached on the Michigan Tax Tribunal case. In addition is sounds like commercial assessments will be taking a major downward hit this year reducing revenue even more (state mandated). I think the commission just needs to take a very close look at both the pros and cons (and there are both) of this IFT before making up their minds.
Go to Top of Page

lovinlife
Active Poster

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  11:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Somebody's got to buy up all these forclosed homes. $10 an hour jobs can afford them.:)
Don't worry too much about the tax break. We'll get the money back in the form of a water bill. :)
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  12:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
American Axle and Manufacturing appears to be in store for a new product line that could generate at least 200 new jobs at the Three Rivers plant.

Go to Top of Page

a viking
Active Poster

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  10:00:20 AM  Show Profile

Yesterday at the Three Rivers City Commission meeting, there was a very important issue concerning the future of Three Rivers, the American Axle tax abatement.
While I frequently do not agree with the elected, appointed, and employed, of the City of Three Rivers, I believe the Commissioners present and the Mayor, made a rational choice.
What about the absent Commissioners? I am sure each had a good reason for their absence on this important matter, but, an old axiom comes to mind; "if you can't take the heat of the kitchen, get out". i.e., resign!
Go to Top of Page

cball
Active Poster

136 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  12:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Funny how the new jobs have gone from 400 to 274 (not sure where that number came from) and the total amount of the IFT is now $84M rather than the original amount of $94M - even though the information given to the commission from AA in the original commission packet only listed improvements of $71M. Listening to the Mayor and commissioners present gushing over AA I'm surprised that Tom didn't throw in a book for each new hire. To laud AA for their commitment to the community is laughable. Either the commission is stupid or they are liars (hmmmm......maybe both?). As I have said before this was a business decision, pure and simple. Cheap workforce and a commission that won't give them a hard time (unlike some other communities that have AA plants). I guess giving them a 12 year abatement is easy if we are going broke anyway. You would have thought that at least they could have postured for something less than the full amount (see Constantines recent IFT for Natures Fuel for 50% of the improvement) I also find it very disturbing that they barely had a quorum for this. Evidently Mr. York is up to his old routine - show up once a year where he needs to or not.
Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  10:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Stupid and liars pretty much covers it!!! And we can't forget Arrogant, self promoting , deceptive , pompous, out for their own good at the cost of the City of Three Rivers and it's citizens.

I just wanted to give them their full credit. They've earned it.
Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  5:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Buck , I thought you would edit me on my last post ! Are you asleep out there ?
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  08:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
I am here (and awake). I didn't see anything in your last post that caused me concern. My rules are simple. No personal attacks and have the courage of your convictions to defend what you say.

Here is a link with more information on this topic: Axle tax exemption approved.

Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  1:51:56 PM  Show Profile
I didn't vote for the bums.

quote:

"Three Rivers needs an Honest Joe in City hall." Pepa

Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  12:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Three Rivers City Commission approves American Axle tax abatement for improvements at local plant totaling nearly $83 million.

Go to Top of Page

Shutesie
Active Poster

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  4:49:27 PM  Show Profile
They set the trap and then they stepped in it. The curse of the never ending tax abatement.
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  11:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Shutesie, in your opinion, what is the downside of an abatement?

Go to Top of Page

Shutesie
Active Poster

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  1:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Abatements seem to get used as tools working against the city rather than for the city, 'give me an abatement or I'll leave' rather than 'Hey, build here and we'll give you a break on your taxes'. I wonder if the break given on taxes matches the benefit received from the jobs. For example, the Kalamazoo Gazette received a rather large tax break for building downtown in Kalamazoo. Their situation changes and they move the promised jobs from that building to I think Grand Rapids. Kalamazoo had to sue to get back only some of the money. Even that move was probably dangerous as the Gazette still had jobs in the city and probably used that as leverage against the city's position.

Governor Synder seems to have his eye on the property tax placed on businesses I wonder how this will change these deals.

Since the tax revenue would not exist if they don't expand it's "free money" anyway so not collecting money that didn't exist before really doesn't hurt the city. My concern is when this tool is used as a tool against the city by saying we'll move out of the city entirely if you don't provide the abatement. It that sense maybe it's a tool not worth having.
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  11:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Abatements seem to get used as tools working against the city rather than for the city, 'give me an abatement or I'll leave' rather than 'Hey, build here and we'll give you a break on your taxes'.

I understand what you are saying but knowing how big an expense taxes can be for businesses I understand why it is done. I really have a hard time picking a side on this one. I think I would prefer that government do what ever it can to simplify and encourage the growth for all local business instead of trying to pick and choose which ones they want to give advantages (over the others that didn't get a break).
quote:
I wonder if the break given on taxes matches the benefit received from the jobs.

I am sure it would be easy to figure out but I suspect emotion will always matter more then facts when it comes to this argument. In other words people will not be comforted with the facts when their employer decides to move to greener pastures (real of perceived). In the case above some will blame the city and some will blame the business but in the end if jobs are lost that is what people are going to be left with. Having said that I would best that in many cases it is just a bluff on the side of the business anyway.
quote:
Since the tax revenue would not exist if they don't expand it's "free money" anyway so not collecting money that didn't exist before really doesn't hurt the city. My concern is when this tool is used as a tool against the city by saying we'll move out of the city entirely if you don't provide the abatement. It that sense maybe it's a tool not worth having.

I guess that at the end of the day both sides are free to bluff and call the bluff as they decide. To remove either party's ability to negotiate their own conditions seems anti-freedom to me. Laissez-faire!

Go to Top of Page

AH.Free
Active Poster

131 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  11:30:42 PM  Show Profile
See this is the perfect example of what i have been saying, we elect them and they think they own us,we need to informe this good for nothing that they are servants of the people not their ego.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000