Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  5:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
All that from cartoons Published: Tuesday, October 5, 2010

To the editor:

What do you get when you cross a Republican with a Democrat, throw in a Tea Party Representative, add an Independent Candidate and a dash of Communist for nostalgia? A lively debate with an exchange of ideas that would benefit the electorate? Not a chance! A free-for-all argument with no clear winners or losers? Youre getting warmer! Fodder for political cartoonists? Bingo!

I love political cartoons! With few words, and uncanny caricatures, political cartoons can demonstrate how blatantly wrong one point of view can be versus another. I can appreciate the subtle jabs directed toward the ignorant. I can learn of scandal that might escape my attention. I can get a different sense of the outrage felt by others. When public figures find new ways to share their indignities with us, I can count on a political cartoonist somewhere to find the humor in the situation.

With few words, and dramatic artwork, political cartoons can illustrate the seriousness of a subject as well. In one cartoon Im reminded of the number 4,417, the total number of heroes lost in Iraq as the end of combat operations are announced, as illustrated by dog-tag chains spelling out the numbers above a banner spelling out the dates. In another cartoon I learn that 1 in 7 Americans lives below the poverty line, as imagainatively drawn out by one house in a row of seven flipped up-side down dumping the residents out on the street. And in starkly dramatic black and white, one more cartoon reminds me "Don't let falsehoods obscure facts," "Don't let irrationality replace reason," "Don't let demagogues sow panic for power," "Don't let al-qaeda's evils diminish America's ideals", "Don't let religious intolerance desecrate Ground Zero," and with a splash of red-white and blue thrown in, a caption under a picture of our flag states "Don't let fear win."

All that from cartoons.

It's amazing what can be learned or communicated by a simple pen and ink drawing. It's equally amazing the emotions that a pen and ink drawing can stir up when a subject is broached that you feel strongly about, or that insults your sensibilities. Just as someone can state their opinion that political cartoons should be removed from a newspaper, another will point out the censorship they're trying to evoke. If only I had the artistic ability I'd draw a political cartoon to illustrate that point.

Robert E. Tomlinson

Source: Three Rivers Commercial News Letter to the Editor

Three Rivers

Liberty First. Everything else second.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000