New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  2:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Daryls viewpoint has a lot of people scratching their heads. Even after approx. 10 years as a T.R. Commissioner he obviously does not understand the taxing process. You do not divide the total taxable value by the number of parcels to obtain a tax rate. First I want to make sure the public knows that the table in the paper is NOT from the County Equalization Dept.. The Homestead millage figures are correct and one needs to go no farther to determine that Three Rivers does indeed have the highest tax rate in the Co.

Make no mistake about it if you have a home, business or empty lot in Three Rivers you are paying the highest rate of taxes in the County. He has arrived at meaningless numbers by total taxable values divided by the number of parcels. All he has pointed out with those figures is that property in other cities is worth more than property in Three Rivers.

One of the fundamental duties of a Commissioner is to have an understanding of the taxing process and its implications to the citizens and economic development. It is painfully clear that Daryl does not know what his is talking about in this article and he re-affirmed his ignorance during Commissioner comments at the Commission meeting. It is incredible that with the millage rates in front of him he couldnt decide that 43.3662 was the highest millage rate on the page. Daryl has a long history of refusing to acknowledge problems in Three Rivers. He once attributed the very high crime rate to those rascals in the townships who come into the city limits and commit crimes. Daryl was party to some of the worst decision making in the history of Three Rivers and the taxpayers will be paying for those mistakes for a long time. This article about T.R. taxes really explains a lot about his past performance, he simply does not know what he is doing. I am delighted that his viewpoint was published just prior to an election. The taxpayers will have more insight into his thought process (or lack of) and realize he has been a large part of the poor judgment that has saddled the taxpayers with debt. Three Rivers has below the County average personal income and yet taxpayers are forced to pay the highest taxes in the County.

We all know what the highest tax rate does for economic development. The taxpayers in Three Rivers have a choice in the upcoming election and in my opinion there is a good replacement for the Commissioner at Large seat. Blaine Edgell has had the best understanding of the problems in Three Rivers for a long time. He certainly has been vocal and I believe he would make a no-nonsense, common sense addition to the City Commission and help bring much needed corrections to past actions.

Michael Dunlap
17174 Woodside Lane
Three Rivers, Mi

Liberty First. Everything else second.

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  10:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Recent pamphlet Daryl Griffith handed out at the Harmony Fest made these comments.

A WORD ABOUT MY OPPONENT
Blaine Edgell, released from city employment 4 years ago is now asking you to elect him as it's boss. This would be disastrous for the progress this city has made in the last 8 years. His postings at Liberty 1st.org clearly indicate he still holds a grudge. He belittles our police department claiming high crime when in fact they have cut crime in half. He falsely alleges Three Rivers has the highest taxes in the County. County tax reports clearly show Sturgis and Constantine hold this distinction. Mr. Edgell "original" suggestions are initiating a few programs that sound really good. So good that the city already utilizes these very programs, some as long as I have been a commissioner.

Do not support someone who plays fast and loose with the facts just to win. Please choose proven common sense leadership over misleading information, hidden agendas and lack of original ideas!

I agree with Daryl !! He says in his pamphlet DO NOT SUPPORT SOMEONE WHO PLAYS FAST AND LOOSE WITH THE FACTS ( JUST TO WIN )

1.Facts are Three Rivers has the highest taxes in St. Joe county.
2.Facts are I was released from city employment for having integrity and doing the right thing! As did Wendy Hostetler if you remember !
3. I support our Police Department and I always have. Daryls issue was, I stated crime stats that even our own Police Chief Tom Bringman agreed with.
Daryl seemed more interested in sweeping the facts under the rug. High crime was also an issue Our current Mayor Al Balog ran on! I believe Our Police Department is understaffed and under equipped for the tasks they're asked to do BUT I believe they do a great job with what they have and if you ask most Police Officers, they will tell you, I have personally told them this many times.

Again Daryl is playing fast and loose with the facts so PLEASE take Daryls suggestion (Do not support someone who plays fast and loose with the facts just to win )

Edited by - vblainev on 09/27/2010 06:07:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  01:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Blaine, for what is worth you got my support. Daryl lives in a fantasy world. If he has to lie to keep is post as commissioner it says alot about him.

quote:
"Three Rivers needs an Honest Joe in City Hall." Pepa
Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  07:12:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Pepa , that means something to me !
Go to Top of Page

takeastand
Frequent Poster

327 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  08:09:30 AM  Show Profile
My question, which I would love answered, would be...Why would he run again ? He stated after the last election that he didn't want to run again. But, you throw your name into the hat and he's running again.
Go to Top of Page

workingmom

65 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  9:35:59 PM  Show Profile
We should be able to trust what our elected people tell us. No wonder people don't trust politicians.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000