Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

takeastand
Frequent Poster

327 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile
As confirmed at one of the Commission Meetings, the chlorination won't kill the bacteria. The City is just adding more chemicals to the drinking water and residents flipping the bill....great move City !
Go to Top of Page

workingmom

65 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  6:43:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pepa

Workingmom refresh my memory, who was the former mayor?

Rowdy, sour grapes and then some.

quote:
"Three Rivers needs an Honest Joe in City Hall." Pepa

Pepa, I think it was Mr. Fleckenstein
Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  01:29:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks workingmom. As for Ken Baker I always thought that he was just another good old boy. What is amazing is how Joe went from bicycle cop to chief and then to city manager.

My other question is when will the commissioners put a stop to Joe's severance package? Eventually he could have ten years severance pay.

quote:
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Three Rivers is a city on the way up Published: Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:15 PM EDT

To the editor:

I agree with Ken Baker about outsiders not commenting on city affairs. While I do not live in the city I do own property and pay city taxes so I believe that I do have some standing.

Mike Dunlap paints a picture of Three Rivers as a city headed in the wrong direction. A city overtaxed and deep in debt. A city whose citizens are victims of a bad city commission. A city whose citizens are unhappy with the high tax rate and do not want the improvements that are being made.

Reality is quite different from this view. Three Rivers is a city on the way up, progress is being made. Blighted properties are being cleaned up, streets are being repaired, the crime rate is dropping dramatically, new houses are going up, and the new parking lot is beautiful and well-utilized. City finances are sound while many municipalities are struggling. The parks and walking trails get better every year.

Taxes too high?

The people of Three Rivers are proud of their city and want the best for it. They wanted good schools so they voted to pay. They wanted streets repaired and rebuilt so they voted to pay. They wanted public transportation, ambulance service, central dispatch, a commission on aging so they voted to pay. Are they unhappy with their tax rate? Apparently not.

Mike ignores an important point made by Daryl: that deducting the street millage brings the Three Rivers tax rate close to that of Sturgis. This is legitimate because Sturgis pays for streets through special assessments, not a tax. Either way the citizens pay.

Mike was wrong in his rant against Daryl. I say rant because it was an exercise in partisan politics totally devoid of truth and facts. Daryl is an astute member of a forward-looking commission. A vote for Daryl is a vote for progress and continuing renewal.

Jim Bippus

Three Rivers

Source: Three Rivers Commercial New Letter to the Editor

Liberty First. Everything else second.
Go to Top of Page

tabletop
Frequent Poster

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  01:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, Mike was right. Can you say "sore loser"?
Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  1:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Vomit, vomit, vomit, and more vomit. Yes, and the Tooth fairy is real just ask Joe, Daryl, Rowdy, Jim, and Tom.

quote:
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  12:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Daryl has posted a letter to the editor at the River Country Journal "Daryl Griffith on his candidacy for re-election". Keep in mind there is a comments feature there and you can always reference posts on this forum.

Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  7:30:02 PM  Show Profile
vblainev said,in October 13th, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Uh oh Daryl fibith. Blaine Edgell has always supported the DDA which I publicly stated during a commission meeting. My issue with the DDA was taxing the expanded district after they were promised they would not be taxed. The issue is integrity and honoring ones word! Honoring the promises given!
I also NEVER suggested dissolving the DDA. I suggested fiscal responsibility and a halt to their spending until they were more financially sound.
I did not attack Mr. Griffith in my article, I just stated the facts and the problems that have existed and continue to exist while he has been in office.
Now facts are, services have been cut on Daryls watch due to budget cuts. Just call City Hall and see who answers the phone. Its not Susie anymore, its an answering machine that really doesnt know a heck of alot OR have any concern about your issues!
Anyone who lives in Three Rivers knows there have been cuts!
Daryl can make many comments BUT it doesnt mean they are true!
My job is to state the facts, the people evaluate his effectiveness.

Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  6:58:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Daryl Griffith said,in October 14th, 2010 at 9:33 am I am happy to answer any questions regarding this.

Following are the comments posted to liberty1st.org by vblainev, the user name of Mr. Edgell specific to his claim to dissolve the DDA (posts were copied and pasted with no content or grammar editing):

Posted 4/7/2010: That was the original agreement as I understand it so if that has changed then I believe we have ever possibility of dissolving the 2nd DDA district all together.

Posted 4/25/2010: To this ordinary citizen, it seems like the wisest move, and the only one, for the City, would be to renounce, remove, dispose of, DDAs District 2; on the City of Three Rivers books!

Posted 4/28/2010: The second DDA district needs to be dissolved

The tax increment financing (TIF) district, set up just before I was elected to the At-Large Commissioner seat in 2002, expanded the original district and attempted to set up the DDA millage in a manner that latter proved not legal. When it was brought to the attention of the commission earlier this year we reached consensus on a solution to bring the district into tax law compliance. With the TIF in place, dissolving the expanded district would dissolve the TIF funding for the DDA effectively dissolving the entire DDA district. This was explained in great detail over the course of four budget meetings.

Regards,
Daryl Griffith

vblainev said,in October 14th, 2010 at 6:59 pm
Dissolving the expanded district is far from dissolving the DDA altogether so what Daryl did here was take a comment I made about the 2nd district and claimed I said to dissolve the DDA altogether. Uh oh Daryl fibith again!

Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  10:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Is it me or Daryl nervous about losing.

quote:
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  7:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Griffith places his community close to his heart Published: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:12 PM EDT

To the editor:

I am writing in support of Daryl Griffith for At-Large Commissioner for the City of Three Rivers.

As a resident of Three Rivers for over 20 years, and as someone who has taken part in many community programs in addition to working for the community as a building inspector, I have had the opportunity to work with and get to know Daryl Griffith.

I am most impressed with Daryls core family values as well as his dedication to the Three Rivers community. While working with Daryl, I found him to be a team-oriented person who values and welcomes input which has led to a great work ethic. Daryl puts significant effort into preparing for the city commission meetings so that he makes informed and educated decisions.

Daryl places his community close to his heart. I find Daryl to be a leader rather than a follower and he is always trying to set a good example in all of his efforts.

In closing I will say that there are not many people with the character and devotion that Daryl has to his community and I am proud to be associated with him.

Gary B. Herndon

Three Rivers

Source: Three Rivers Commercial Letter to the Editor

Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
My vote goes to the hometown candidate Published: Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:14 PM EDT

To the editor:

It never ceases to amaze me how much Daryl Griffith and the rest of the commission are bashed simply for trying to making Three Rivers better. I found Mr. Edgell's letter rather unprofessional. He spent a long time griping about things without a word what he would do differently. As I understand it, Blaine Edgell is from Battle Creek and transplanted to Three Rivers eight years ago. Perhaps this is why he believes the city needs a change in direction. As an outsider, he wasn't here in low points of Three Rivers to know how far we have come in the last 10 years. Now I see we would have to dial long distance to Kalamazoo just to phone Mr. Edgell. Not exactly my idea of a good candidate to lead Three Rivers.

Daryl was born in Three Rivers and lived his whole life here. He attends church here and his kids go to school here. Listen to him talk about his hometown and you will know he cares for what is best for Three Rivers for the long term. Daryl was here in the beginning. He was here through the period when business was moving out and he has been a part of bringing business and jobs back to Three Rivers.

My vote goes to the hometown candidate. There is no question he has been good for this community. Please cast your vote on Nov. 2 for Daryl Griffith.

Joseph Makowski

Three Rivers

Source: Three Rivers Commercial News Letter to the Editor

Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Get more for TR, choose Griffith Published: Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:14 PM EDT

To the editor:

Most of you know that I have been a city commissioner. I have worked with a lot of different people and know what makes a good and bad commissioner. I will tell you that Daryl Griffith is an excellent commissioner. He reads all the material and looks out for the citizens interest first and foremost.

His personal agenda is only to serve this community to the best of his ability. Our city has a lot to be proud of because of what Daryl has supported as a commissioner.

As a citizen I want more for our town and the only way to get it is to vote for Daryl Griffith.

Rowdy Keith

Three Rivers

Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  4:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
Three Rivers needs a friend of business

Published:
Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:14 PM EDT
To the editor:

As a resident and business manager in our downtown, I would like a moment to share my support for Daryl Griffith.

During his tenure on the City Commissioner he has proven that he supports the local business community: voting for 25 IFTs, over 100 new businesses have opened their doors and invested millions of dollars in Three Rivers since Griffith has been on the City Commission, and he believes in the importance of every business and the jobs they create.

He voted with the DDA during a state-mandated millage adjustment for a revenue neutral plan which halted the original district from paying two mills while the expanded district paid zero mills to every property paying one mill across the board.

This fair and balanced plan was publicly supported by: Three Rivers Chamber of Commerce, Glen Oaks Community College, Three Rivers Community Schools, Southern Michigan Bank & Trust, Kadant Johnson, CMS, Waste Management, Ron Neale Auto, Ridgeway Floral, Safety Glasses USA, Metal Technologies, Riviera Theatre, Second Wind Furniture, UniQ, Lowrys Books and More, W.E. English, Tucker Davidson & Hines, P.C. Preferred Insurance & Pattie Bender.

Blaine Edgell stood before the City Commission to oppose the DDA and even suggested that the millage be decrease to zero. Zero money to assist businesses in faade grants, painting rebates, snow & trash removal, flower beautification, east & west side parking lot & walkthrough maintenance, and $13.7 million invested in the DDA district in the last five years. Mr. Edgell says he is not running to make friends but I think that is exactly what this town needs, a friend of Three Rivers, a friend of business.

Danielle Moreland

DDA board member

Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  4:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Who is going to be the first one to say that Daryl walks on water?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000