Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  8:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
November General Election to feature only one contest for Three Rivers City Commission: Griffith versus Edgell.

Rome is burning and I have no fiddle.

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  11:14:44 AM  Show Profile
The reasons I'm running are these.
1. We have the highest taxes in the county. Not exactly a magnet drawing people to Three Rivers! I believe we must do everything possible to keep the government out of our pockets, while lowering taxes by looking outside the box, being creative, come up with options to keep spending at a minimum while keeping services high. We need to attract new residents so that our tax base isn't spread between fewer and fewer Three Rivers residents. Our tax base does just the opposite!

2. We need a much better preventative maintainence program for the equipment we have !! In 2001 we spent 7 million dollars at our waste water plant yet to date much of that equipment is not working properly ! Thus all the problems with our waste water plant. The recent contamination of the river ! The terrible smell issues. The foam overs visible to the public, plus many internal problems not visible to the public!

3. Deal with the chlorination problem with the least cost possible to the public. They didn't cause this, it's a shame they will have to pay for it!!
Again I believe many of these issues were and are being caused by the lack or improper maintenance!

City Charter section 13.7 say , The Commission is responsible for the care, protection and direction of utility plants. I believe in many cases the Commission is not fully aware of these problems, so how can they do their job ??

I will make sure I am aware of these issues and I will also make sure the public knows what's going on so they can direct us as the Commission. We are there to serve the public at their direction, thus transparency to the public is vitally important. I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOVERNING BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, I will also keep a close eye on the water chlorination project to eliminate the serious cost overruns we've experienced in the past.

4.Work hard to continually fight our crime problems. Make sure our Police Department is properly staffed and equipped to do their jobs. Put under the microscope all spending so that we are being as effective as possible with Three Rivers citizens money. Set a priority list for expenses so that the most important areas are being financed while other expenses less important to the cities operation are cut!

5 Accountability is huge with me , those responsible for good or bad NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE ! There must be a cost and benefit for performance, with out it there is no accountability .

6.Create attractions here in Three Rivers to bring in revenue rather than always expecting residents to pay the bills. The theater is a great attraction!! I believe our Zoo could have been. With a little creative thinking we can provide this community with a huge magnet, a much better Petting Zoo and another reason for outsiders to spend their money here.
The Jack Hanna presentation 4 years back was a great success and a huge benefit to this community. Before his presentation our restaurants were full and right after his presentation they were full. We need more attractions drawing others to our city.

This may sound like a lot of promises for a City Commissioner but I have been working passionately on these issues for 5 years now. I attend most City Commission meetings. I work hard to stay informed as to the issues in our city. I have worked behind the scenes and up front, facing a good deal of confrontation to hold our public officials accountable and bring positive change to our city.

I've made special arrangements with my Boss to be able to attend Commission meetings. I am committed to excellent attendance so that the Commission can operate at it's highest level.

I'm not running to make friends! I'm running to make a difference for the Citizens of Three Rivers and the community I love!

I would greatly appreciate your support and your vote come this November!

If you have any concerns or questions please feel free to call me at 1 269 217 4136
Thank You
Blaine N. Edgell

Edited by - vblainev on 05/15/2010 11:39:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

silentTRobserver
Frequent Poster

806 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  5:55:51 PM  Show Profile
We wish you well in your attempts to improve the quality of representation on the Commission, Blaine.

Edited by - silentTRobserver on 05/16/2010 5:56:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

workingmom

65 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  8:47:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by silentTRobserver

We wish you well in your attempts to improve the quality of representation on the Commission, Blaine.

I want to echo silentTRobserver's comments. T.R. may never recover from the Lowry, Keith, Cochran and Griffith regime. Their poor judgment and performance may have caused irreversible damage to T.R.. Blight, high taxes, crime and bad projects have placed a terrible burden on the citizens of T.R.. As each issue surfaced they banded together to cover each others backside. Griffith is the last Commissioner to go leaving only one non-elected official that should be replaced.
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
The November 2nd General Election in the City of Three Rivers will feature only one contest for a seat on the Three Rivers City Commission.

That's the situation after passage of Tuesdays (May 11th) 4 p.m. deadline for candidates to file nominating petitions.

In his quest for another two-year term, incumbent Commissioner-at-Large Daryl Griffith of 614 Pine Street will face a challenge from Blaine Edgell of 309 North Main Street.

George Ramsey of 318 East Hoffman Street will be unopposed as he seeks election to a one-year term as First District commissioner. Ramsey was appointed to the position November 17, 2009 after Judy Gilchrist, who defeated him by one vote in last fall's General Election, resigned following a recount that confirmed her narrow victory in the balloting.

Two other incumbent officeholders Second District Commissioner Elbert Foster of 700 South Main Street and Fourth District Commissioner Carolyn McNary of 420 Fifth Avenue will also be unopposed as they seek re-election for another two years.

The quoted text above is from the article posted in the beginning of this thread.

We as a People have got to do better when it comes to getting people to run for these seats. There should never ever be a seat left unopposed in any election. The lack of any real competition makes it possible for those who sit on the commission to make decisions that may not be in the best interest of those they supposedly represent.

Liberty First. Everything else second.
Go to Top of Page

a viking
Active Poster

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Buck

quote:
The November 2nd General Election in the City of Three Rivers will feature only one contest for a seat on the Three Rivers City Commission.

That's the situation after passage of Tuesdays (May 11th) 4 p.m. deadline for candidates to file nominating petitions.

In his quest for another two-year term, incumbent Commissioner-at-Large Daryl Griffith of 614 Pine Street will face a challenge from Blaine Edgell of 309 North Main Street.

George Ramsey of 318 East Hoffman Street will be unopposed as he seeks election to a one-year term as First District commissioner. Ramsey was appointed to the position November 17, 2009 after Judy Gilchrist, who defeated him by one vote in last fall's General Election, resigned following a recount that confirmed her narrow victory in the balloting.

Two other incumbent officeholders Second District Commissioner Elbert Foster of 700 South Main Street and Fourth District Commissioner Carolyn McNary of 420 Fifth Avenue will also be unopposed as they seek re-election for another two years.

The quoted text above is from the article posted in the beginning of this thread.

We as a People have got to do better when it comes to getting people to run for these seats. There should never ever be a seat left unopposed in any election. The lack of any real competition makes it possible for those who sit on the commission to make decisions that may not be in the best interest of those they supposedly represent.

Very True!
I once lived in a community that one time had seven candidates vying in the primary for one of the aldermanic (commissioner) positions.
Great citizen interest in the government of that community.

In fact, two of the elected were attorneys.
The City Manager didn't get away with the activities, that seem to be occurring in Three Rivers.
Go to Top of Page

DizzyIzzy

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  10:13:34 PM  Show Profile
their really is only one reason you really need to vote for Edgell, to piss off King Joe. Remember a vote for Blaine is a vote against Bippus.
Go to Top of Page

silentTRobserver
Frequent Poster

806 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  10:38:36 PM  Show Profile
What is sad about the Lowery regime is that when it began everyone heaved a sigh of relief after the Gieber Mayoral dramas. Somehow, along the way, while overall commission meetings were conducted with more decorum, the behind the scenes deals and narrow focus of the new officials devolved into the realms of corruption and mismanagement of public funds. I think this was Wendy Hochstetlers's point when she raised her voice in protest.

Edited by - silentTRobserver on 06/05/2010 10:39:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  1:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey My Campaign signs are here !!! If you are interested in having a sign in your yard Please call me at 269 217 4136
Thank You Very Much, Blaine Edgell
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  2:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Blaine just stick one in my yard. I have a corner lot so you can put one on both streets if you like.

Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  4:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Buck, I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

vblainev
Obsessed Poster

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  4:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who allowed me to put a campaign sign in their yard, it's greatly appreciated !!
I am now planning on putting a few more signs out so if you don't have a sign and would like one or know of friends or other locations for my signs again Please call me at 269 217 4136 or send a quick e-mail. Thanks again for your support!!

Interesting side note, my opponent Mr. Griffith made some interesting comments on a brochure he handed out at Harmony fest stating I was trying to mislead Three Rivers citizens claiming Three Rivers has the highest taxes in the County. Daryl claims Sturgis and Constantine hold this distinction. OOPS Daryl made a boo boo!! I was right, I have confirmed this with Mayor Balog and a County Commissioner. I also have the records from the county that CLEARLY show Three Rivers DOES HAVE the highest taxes in St. Joe County

Who's trying to mislead who??

Daryl also made comments about me being fired from the city 4 years ago! Personally I'd be MORE THAN happy to bring the subject up again. I got fired for having integrity and doing the right thing despite the threats of being fired! My integrity is much more important to me than that!

Wendy Hochstetler would be another example of getting fired for having integrity and doing the right thing! I'm not the only one!

More info. to come soon !
Go to Top of Page

amazon
Active Poster

146 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Blaine: Every spin (of your opponent) can be re-spun.

Consider what happened to Kenny a few years ago. He got disparaging and it turned on him w/a vengeance.

Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  9:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Vote Edgell cause we need an honest Joe in City hall.

quote:
"Three Rivers needs an Honest Joe in City Hall." Pepa
Go to Top of Page

huntandfish70

12 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  2:59:41 PM  Show Profile
And what do you propose to do about the so-called "highest taxes in the county?" Do you have any experience working with and controlling large budgets? The city of Three Rivers is on a downward spiral and it is not solely due to taxes...
Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  3:26:40 PM  Show Profile
You are right huntandfish it is due to the guy running the city budget.

quote:
"Three Rivers needs an Honest Joe in City Hall." Pepa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000