Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  9:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
quote:
One of Three Rivers’ oldest grocery stores announced Friday that it will close its doors for business in the near future. Village Market, 300 Enterprise Drive, a fixture in the community for nearly a quarter of a century, informed its nearly 60 employees of the decision. Village Market is the lead store in a 16-acre shopping center occupied by nearly a dozen smaller businesses and a large movie complex. The large operation broke ground with the city of Three Rivers when it negotiated a land transfer agreement from Lockport Township in 1996 for city water and sewer utilities and other services in exchange for a 3-mill annual payment to the township. The original Village Market opened in 1983 some five blocks to the south in a smaller shopping center.

It is the only major grocery operation on the north side of Three Rivers. In a memo to employees, Stephen Murk, President and General Manager said, “I am sad to say that we will be closing the Three Rivers operation.” Store officials say that merchandise will be discounted beginning Monday. Where possible, employees will be reassigned to the Village Market operations in Centreville, Colon, South Haven, Allegan, Decatur, and Gobles.

Source: WLKM's News Site

Laissez faire: leave the people alone, let them be, in their economic activities, in their religious affairs, in thought and culture, in the pursuit of fulfillment in their own lives.

Metz
Active Poster

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Metz's Homepage  Send Metz a Yahoo! Message
That's sad. That's where I had my first job.
Does that leave just Meijer & Hardings?

Suppose I stood up, Right now, And spoke my mind.
Suppose that I was Heard and that they all believed in Me.
What happens next? -- Teresa L. Rothman

Go to Top of Page

tabletop
Frequent Poster

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  01:53:17 AM  Show Profile
For now until Wal-mart opens. Just like D & W took off before Meijers opened. Like K-mart because Meijers opened. Like Ames because K-mart opened. Like Fishers Big Wheel because Ames opened. Like the dimestores because Big Wheel opened. Like 84 Lumber because Wolohan opened. Like Kauslers because Wolohan opened. Now Wolohan gone just because. Do you see a pattern here? I suppose next it will be Home Depot because Menards will open. Seems like Jonah and the whale syndrome with only a small net gain and a huge loss to local business owners. What really gets me is after the big chains destroyed all the downtowns, they start designing their massive stores to look like the fronts of downtown stores that people miss.
Go to Top of Page

pepa
Obsessed Poster

1650 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  01:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Let us not forget the soon to be opening Walmart. I'll miss Village Market for their bake goods and meat department. Walmart and Meijer are not my favorite for meat and bakery. I think the biggest mistake Village Market made was to stop serving breakfest at their deli.

People would shop after breaksfest or eat breakfest before getting on with their shopping. Oh, well I think that they could and can still compete with Walmart. Quality or Quanity?

quote:
"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" LLoyd Bentsen

Edited by - pepa on 05/08/2007 01:56:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

bobtoml
Frequent Poster

USA
927 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile
There's more to this. Vilage Video and Hungry Howies will close as well, they're operated by the same management company as Village Market. In the Commercial News account it mentioned "Landlord" issues as well. There wasn't a lot of elaboration on the landlord subject so I wonder what those problems were as well. The future lack of traffic can't be good for the dollar store that's there as well as the movie theatre and the chinese buffet. I'd hate to see that whole corner collapse.

Even with the new management in place at River Crossings they still haven't been able to secure an anchor store to replace D&W and that still sits empty after how many years?. The addition of Dollar General was nice, but they're definately no anchor store.
Go to Top of Page

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:58:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bobtoml

There wasn't a lot of elaboration on the landlord subject so I wonder what those problems were as well.
The article in the Commercial cited the owner of Village Market wanting to downsize and the landlord not being agreeable to this. There has to be more to it though. Reduced income seems better than no income...unless they have someone else waiting in the wings for the site.

Daryl
Go to Top of Page

Metz
Active Poster

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  1:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Metz's Homepage  Send Metz a Yahoo! Message
So rather than using an existing site Walmart will be built elsewhere right? I hate that. You're right, D&W's old store sits unused then why not put something there? It's large enough for a good store. Shoot, it's got the hookups, the parking and stuff it would even make a good catering facility for parties & stuff. Gosh I wish I had the capital to do something like that! But no, it's always gotta be expand expand expand, new property new buildings, but the old ones are left to be eyesores and waste of space and money. Tax write offs?
Is that what it's coming to nowadays? It's cheaper for corps to have vacant properties they can write off as losses than to improve them and pay more in taxes insurance and other stuff?

Better watch out, pretty soon TR could look like it does here on Long Island, so built up that you can't tell where one town ends and the next begins. There's next to no open land spaces between here and NY City and we're 2 hours away by car. Nothing but buildings, strip malls, and junk on every corner & it's creeping farther and farther East every day. Even the movie stars & rich folk in the Hamptons won't be able to protect the East End for long, pretty soon they'll be moving to greener pastures (literally) too.

Suppose I stood up, Right now, And spoke my mind.
Suppose that I was Heard and that they all believed in Me.
What happens next? -- Teresa L. Rothman

Go to Top of Page

sillymcoe

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  5:58:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pepa

Let us not forget the soon to be opening Walmart. I'll miss Village Market for their bake goods and meat department. Walmart and Meijer are not my favorite for meat and bakery. I think the biggest mistake Village Market made was to stop serving breakfest at their deli.
do you know when wal-mart is going to open?
People would shop after breaksfest or eat breakfest before getting on with their shopping. Oh, well I think that they could and can still compete with Walmart. Quality or Quanity?

quote:
"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" LLoyd Bentsen

Go to Top of Page

bobtoml
Frequent Poster

USA
927 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  8:33:06 PM  Show Profile
You did notice that G.W. Jones Bank relocated before Village made their announcement...clairvoyant?

Edited by - bobtoml on 05/09/2007 5:27:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

DarylGriffith
Frequent Poster

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  06:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Last I knew, Cole Motors owned (or at least holds the lease on) the store front at the former DW site. I know they have used it a couple of times as a big indoor show room and quite often use the parking lot for the same. At one time the buzz was they were going to move the sales office there and devote the existing site stricly to service but there has not been any news about their plans of late.

Daryl
Go to Top of Page

bobtoml
Frequent Poster

USA
927 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  5:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Look in tommorrows T.R. Commercial News for more information from Village Square Shopping Center management.
Go to Top of Page

tabletop
Frequent Poster

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  7:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Well according to the letter to the editor from shopping center management, it looks like a "he said" "she said" situation. The management apparently did not think Village Market would really leave and did not take the request seriously enough. Village Market looking for a way to survive did not try hard enough to negotiate. So now we will be left with more empty buildings and lack of service to the North side. It seems it would have made sense for everyone to move the video and pizza store inside Village and only have to fill a couple of small store fronts. The management company has a HUGE job trying to find willing anchor tenants with Wal-Mart looming. Sad!!
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Forum Admin

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buck's Homepage
Meyer Ventures purchases former Village Market and strip mall property on Enterprise Drive.

Liberty First. Everything else second.
Go to Top of Page

amazon
Active Poster

146 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Dream scenario: Whole Foods comes to Three Rivers.
Go to Top of Page

workingmom

65 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile
This is proof on the ground about the condition of T.R.. When a piece of property that should sell in the millions is sold for $170,000 there are fundamental problems with the city. Millions of dollars have been spent downtown to spruce it up but there are about the same number of empty buildings as before all of the money was spent. Every new strip mall in and around town also has lots of vacant space in them. The real problem is and always has been the income level in T.R.. It doesn't matter how nice a business looks if you don't have any extra money to spend.
Go to Top of Page

takeastand
Frequent Poster

327 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  8:37:20 PM  Show Profile
WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Amazon !!! I'm with you on that one ! Whole Foods or Trader Joe's !!! Do your best Mr. Meyer !! We know you won't disappoint us !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Liberty 1st Forum © Liberty 1st Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000